Plastic fantastic? I don’t think so!
1. Do you really need a plastic fork with your takeaway? Fish and Chips taste so much better when you use your hands anyway.
2. Not only are take-a-ways delicious, you can also re-use your takeaway container. It’s a way to get the most out of your money!
3. On that note, REUSE, REUSE, REUSE! Plastic containers from supermarkets/farmers markets can also be reused. Heck, perhaps you could haggle a few pennies off for reusing containers?
4. Cut up plastic rings, they do bad things!
5. You old bag… you know those bags for life you see? They are a fantastic way to keep plastic bags out of the food chain! As is reusing bags you already have, just so long as you remember to bring them along with you!
6. If you must smoke, channel your inner James Dean and use matches instead of plastic lighters. Or if your budget allows, a fancy refillable lighter! And watch where you put those butts! They are one of the most common items found in beach cleans and can take 5 years to decompose!
7. Plastic straw, get back in your draw! Do you really need a straw? We mean, really?
We could go on forever. Fundamentally, plastic is bad for the environment! It kills many marine animals by ingestion or entanglement and the harmful chemicals released during the breakdown of plastics are slowly being incorporated into the bodies of marine animals. This is bad news for us too, don’t forget, many of us enjoy eating fish (preferably without plastic)!